According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), “At least one person has died on Texas roadways every day since Nov. 7, 2000.” TxDOT Executive Director James Bass had this to say about the issue: “It’s heartbreaking to know somebody who has lost a spouse, child, friend or neighbor every day for the 17 years on Texas roadways.”
What are the causes behind all of these crashes? Drunk driving, talking to passengers, fatigued driving, speeding, or texting while driving? According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), “94 percent of these deadly crashes are due to driver error – things like distracted driving, speeding and drunk driving,” reported TxDOT.
How Can I Reduce the Crashes on Texas’ Roads?
As a licensed driver in Texas, there is a lot that you can do to reduce the number of crashes and fatalities on Texas’ roadways, including but not limited to:
- Never drive while under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs, or even prescription drugs that affect driving. If you drive while intoxicated, you can get a DWI or worse, seriously injure or kill someone, including yourself.
- Do not drive while fatigued. If you are sleep-deprived, it can be as dangerous as driving while drunk. Refrain from hitting the road when you have less than six hours of sleep and avoid driving through the night, when your body is used to being asleep.
- NEVER text while driving as this can be as deadly as drunk driving!
- Obey the speed limit. Speeding is one of the leading causes of roadway collisions.
- Do not drive when you are emotionally upset as this can lead to accidents, especially if you drive while you’re angry.
- Drive defensively. You can be the best driver in the world but that doesn’t mean you can prevent a distracted driver from plowing right into you. Keep your phone down, your eyes on the road and scan for distracted drivers in your path.
- Always wear a seatbelt and do not drive unless your passengers buckle up.
Were you arrested for DWI in Plano or the Greater Dallas Area? Or, did you get a traffic ticket that’s threatening your driver’s license and auto insurance rates? Contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC for the hard-hitting defense representation you need!