Drugs are everywhere and people from all racial, socioeconomic and religious backgrounds take them. And, illegal drugs like cocaine, heroin, crystal meth, and marijuana aren’t the only drugs leading to possession charges – prescription drugs are just as bad, if not worse than illegal drugs in many jurisdictions.
Because prescription drugs are so accessible (all you have to do is look in your friend or family member’s medicine cabinet), they’ve become a serious problem for law enforcement and the criminal justice system, not to mention drug rehab programs across the country.
If you’re facing drug charges, join the club. You have plenty of company, especially in Dallas and Collin counties. If this is your first offenses, there are some things that you’re going to want to know.
What You Need to Know
All individuals facing drug charges need to know the following information:
- The defendant may qualify for diversion. If they qualify and they successfully complete diversion, the drug offense may not go on their record and they may avoid the stigma of a criminal conviction.
- Upon conviction of a drug offense, their driver license will be suspended for 180 days.
- Upon conviction, they will be required by law to complete a 15-hour class put on by an authorized drug education program. This 15-hour class must be taken for each drug conviction, so if there are multiple convictions, the person will have to take multiple 15-hour classes.
- Before getting their driver license back, the defendant must obtain a financial responsibility certificate (SR-22) from their insurance company and the certificate must be submitted to DPS.
- The defendant must maintain the SR-22 certificate for two yearsafter they are convicted of a drug offense.
- When the defendant completes the required drug education program, they must submit the certificate to DPS.
Are you facing drug charges in Plano, Dallas or Fort Worth? If so, it’s critical that you explore all of your defense and alternative sentencing options. Contact us today to see what our stellar legal team can do to protect your freedom and your future.