Social Security Disability (SSDI) benefits are specifically for workers who become seriously disabled with a medical condition that will last at least one year or result in death. In order for an applicant to receive SSDI benefits, they must have worked long enough and their disability must prevent them from engaging in any substantial gainful activity (SGA).
If you’ve been disabled for some time and you’re now thinking of applying for SSDI benefits, you may be wondering if SSDI benefits can be retroactive. That’s a perfectly normal question to have and it’s one we hear often. “Can I get any back Social Security Disability benefits for any of the months before I submit my application?” We have good news: Yes, it is possible. The Social Security Administration may pay SSDI benefits to an applicant for up to 12 months before they apply.
How Does the SSA Decide on Back Benefits?
You may be able to receive retroactive disability benefits for up to 12 months before you apply if the SSA determines that you were disable during that time, and that you’ve met all other applicable requirements. If you think you may be eligible for disability benefits, and possibly retroactive benefits, it’s best to apply sooner than later. We invite you to contact our firm for all the help you need to submit a complete application to the SSA. Securing the help of a Social Security Disability attorney from our firm has many advantages:
- You can get the process started immediately.
- You don’t have to stress about filling out the application wrong.
- You can have peace of mind that an experienced attorney is navigating you through the application process.
- We take all the guesswork out of it.
- We can guide you every step of the way.
- We will handle your application efficiently.
- We can answer all of your questions and explain your rights under the laws.
Related: Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits
To learn more about filing an application for Social Security Disability benefits, contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC at (888) 493-6529 today.