Enforcement Actions for a Divorce Decree in Texas

Enforcement Actions for a Divorce Decree in Texas

After you have finalized a divorce in Texas, you will have the ability to make sure that all the provisions of that decree are enforced. If a former spouse refuses to honor decrees within the settlement, such as executing deeds or dividing retirement, then you may be able to start legal Texas enforcement measures.

The Texas courts maintain that after the court has issued a valid divorce decree both parties have the responsibility to follow all terms in the order. The order must be obeyed even if one spouse has issues with the divorce decree. If your spouse is refusing to comply with the terms of the agreement, then you will want to choose a legal remedy to follow to make sure that you collect your finances or property. A motion for enforcement in Texas asks the courts to enforce any provisions of the final order. This can be anything from support to possession, spousal maintenances, conservatorship or possession.

Motions to enforce provisions of custody decrees may include requests that the person who withheld the money be held in contempt of court. The individual can also be punished with criminal or civil sanctions. Texas courts have the right to enforce support orders by withholding income from the nonpaying spouse, or by placing a lien on the ex-spouse's property until he or she pays up.

In some situations, the court can also issue a driver's license suspension, or can pursue more creative actions to punish a person for failing to pay out obligatory divorce situations. If you believe that your rights to certain property or finances are being violated by a reluctant ex-spouse, then you need to contact the firm today to learn more! With the right attorney on your side, you will be able to enforce all necessary measures to make sure that you get the finances that you deserve. Don't hesitate to contact a Plano family lawyer the firm today to learn more!