Interstate Custody Agreements

Interstate Custody Agreements

If you live in a different state than your ex-spouse, but you are sharing custody of the children, then you will need to develop an interstate custody agreement. This is an agreement that will guide you and your ex as you work through plane flights and other arrangements for the children to travel. If you are just petitioning for child support, you will need to make sure that a state court can make a decision about child custody based on a few key factors.

First of all, make sure that your state court can make a decision the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act. This act says that a state court can make a decision about custody if the court is located in the child's home state, or if the child has significant connections with people in the state. This means that if your child has connections with teachers, doctors, grandparents, and others in a specific state, then the state court can probably help to decide a custody agreement. Also, if a child is in the state for a safety reason, this is a legitimate reason why the state court should have the right to decide custody.

For example, if that child was with an abusive caretaker, and was removed from the caretaker and placed with a parent in a different state, then custody can be decided in that state. Also, if no state where the custody decision could be made could meet one of the above three tests, the court may decide to take on the case. It is very important that you fight to have your state court work through the custody case, as this will be a benefit to you.

You will want to prove that you are capable of parenting your loved one and that you have the means capable to do so. If you need more information about interstate custody battles or if you are looking for a Plano family attorney who can help you then contact an attorney at the Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC today!