Se Habla Español
Stay Informed & Familiar with Our Firm Criminal Defense, Immigration & Disability News

Rentals and Substance Abuse in Texas

If you are renting a home or apartment in the state of Texas, then you are restricting from using illegal narcotics in that home. This is true in any home, regardless of whether or not you own it, but there are specific rules that are given to those that are renting a property and attempt to perform illegal activities in that vicinity. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, even legal drugs can be dangerous and if a person becomes addicted it can mean eviction.

Landlords have the right to report any illegal crimes and drug abuse in their properties to law enforcement immediately. After this, the landlord can give the tenant a notice to vacate the premises. The notice must be given writing and delivered by a witness or through certified mail. The landlord can then file with the courts. Unfortunately this will involve a $75 fee in order to file the motion. Once the landlord has the motion official filed, then the tenants will be required to show up to the court date that has been set.

If you are a tenant, you will want to hire a criminal defense attorney to accompany you to the trial. Chances are that the landlord will bring all evidence that he or she has that you were using illegal substances. With a convincing lawyer, you may be able to prove that you were misrepresented and that the landlord was incorrect with his or her allegations. If the landlord does win the case, then you have five days to appeal the notice. If you are at risk to losing your home because you were misrepresented and accused with using drugs, then you will certainly want a Plano drug defense attorney there to assist you. Contact a local lawyer at the Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC today for more information!