Standard Possession Orders in Texas

Standard Possession Orders in Texas

In Plano and all throughout the state of Texas, most custody orders include a Standard Possession Order that sets the schedule for how much time each parent will be able to spend with their child. The parent who has the child overnight is normally called the custodial parent, the managing conservator, or the primary conservator. The non-custodial parent is typically the one that is working full-time and is therefore responsible for paying for the child's expenses.

Custody orders typically refer to parenting time as access and possession. These are synonyms for visitation. In Texas, a basic SPO will allow the noncustodial parent to have access to the child for a couple of hours every Thursday night and on the first, third, and fifth weeks of each month.

The courts often also allow the non-custodial parent to have the child on alternating holidays and for at least one month in the summer. This is the pre-planned pattern that the Texas courts apply to most custodial arrangements unless the parents have already come up with their own SPO that they would like to implement.

The SPO tells the parents where the exchanges of the child will take place, and where the child will spend particular holidays. Also, the SPO will arrange meeting times. It is essential that parents adhere to these meeting times and do not show up late when it is their turn to trade or take the child. SPOs will be treated differently if the parents live more than 100 miles apart. The exchanges may be lengthier but less frequent in this case.

The court does not have to follow a SPO if the child is under three years old or if the SPO is not in the best interests of the child that is affected. Parents with a SPO can agree to any schedule that works for them. This means that they can arrange their own schedule and don't have to adhere to the prefabricated pattern. If you want more information, don't hesitate to call the Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC. A Plano family attorney can help you to arrange a satisfactory child custody plan.