I Suffer From Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Am I Eligible for SSDI?

I Suffer From Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Am I Eligible for SSDI?

Do I have chronic fatigue syndrome?

Chronic fatigue syndrome is defined by the Centers for Disease Control as fatigue that has no onset, is not caused by any physical or mental ailment, is not satisfied no matter how much sleep or rest is taken, and interferes with your ability to perform regular tasks.

However, being tired is not enough to warrant a claim.

You must also experience a number of other symptoms over a minimum of six months, including:

  • Reduced activity due to memory or concentration problems
  • Repeated sore throats
  • Sore lymph nodes in the back of arms or the neck
  • Muscle and joint pain without swelling
  • Headaches
  • Unwell feeling lasting at least 24 hours after physical exertion

While chronic fatigue syndrome does not automatically prevent you from working, you can prove that your condition is severe enough to need disability benefits. If you can perform any aspect of your prior employment, you will likely not be approved for benefits, but if evidence is provided that shows you are unable to complete your job, you may qualify.

How does Social Security determine eligibility?

The Social Security Administration will use your medical records, including all test results, hospitalizations, doctor visits, and medications taken to establish your Residual Functional Capacity (RFC) assessment score. This will help determine how your illness affects your employment abilities. Depending on the medical evidence provided, the Social Security Administration will create a RFC that details your specific limitations.

The limitations outline will provide a rubric for employment opportunities that may be available to you. The more evidence you can provide that makes employment difficult, the higher the likelihood that you can receive SSDI. The Social Security Administration details limitations of 20% or more as acceptable to prevent employment.

If your RFC indicates that you are unable to work, you must also prove that you do not earn over $1,070 monthly and you will be out of work for at least a year as a result of your condition. Still wondering if you qualify? Contact an experienced attorney at the Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC to begin filing your claim today!