Do I Have to Be a U.S. Citizen to Apply for Social Security Disability?

Do I Have to Be a U.S. Citizen to Apply for Social Security Disability?

Not necessarily. For non-citizens who have paid certain taxes and are lawful permanent residents or are on valid nonimmigrant visas, it might be possible to collect Social Security Disability benefits.

If you are a non-citizen, can you answer yes to any of the following?

  • Do you have a green card?
  • Are you lawfully present on a visa?
  • Are you an active duty member or veteran of the U.S. military?

If you said yes to any of the above: did you also pay enough in taxes toward Social Security? If so, then you might be eligible to apply for Social Security Disability. If you do not know whether or not you have paid taxes that went toward Social Security, or for how long, you can discuss your case with one of our qualified Plano Social Security disability attorneys to find out.

Your Country of Origin Could Be Important

If you are from Cuba, North Korea, or Vietnam, then you may not be eligible for SSDI.

Also, the United States has agreements with several other countries concerning Social Security. If a worker is employed in one of these countries as well as in the U.S., then these agreements mean that he or she does not get taxed for Social Security in both countries.

Are you also working in any of the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom?

Then you might not have had to pay into the Social Security system. That would also mean that you cannot apply for SSDI, but you have other benefits to look into. Call the Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC to get an overview of your options!

Our Experienced Dallas Social Security Disability Attorneys Can Help

Unfortunately, it can be anything but straightforward to navigate Social Security law. When you need answers fast about your eligibility for SSDI and the application process, then do not hesitate to set up your free consultation with an awarded lawyer from the Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC today!