Se Habla Español
Stay Informed & Familiar with Our Firm Criminal Defense, Immigration & Disability News

Can a Child Born Out of Wedlock Receive SSDI Benefits from a Parent?

According to the SSDI, a child that is born outside of marriage may qualify for Social Security benefits on a patient's record. To receive these benefits, a child must have a parent who is disabled or required and is entitled to collect Social Security benefits or a parent who died after working long enough in a job where he or she paid Social Security taxes.

Children are not permitted to collect on a parents' policy if they are married or over the age of 18. Children can collect if they are over 18 and are still a full-time student that has not yet graduated high school. Also, if a child is disabled and over the age of 18, he or she may still be able to collect benefits. If you want more information about SSDI benefits for children born outside of wedlock, don't hesitate to contact an SSDI attorney at the firm today!