Visiting the United States

Visiting the United States

Are you interested in visiting the United States? Generally, if someone wishes to visit (not move to) the U.S., first they must obtain a visitor visa. However, travelers who come from certain countries may not have to obtain a visitor visa under the “Visa Waiver Program.”

Under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), citizens from participating countries are able to travel to the United States without a visa for 90 days or less assuming they meet all of the requirements. There are 38 countries participating in this program, including but not limited to:

  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • France
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom

In order to qualify for the VWP program, you must be a citizen or national of one of the VWP-participating countries.

Applying for a Visa

If you wish to come to the United States for a reason other than business or pleasure, then you will have to apply for the appropriate visa. For example, if you wish to study here, or work as a journalist or a crew member, you’ll need to obtain the applicable visa for your purposes.

You can get help determining which visa is right for you by speaking to an experienced immigration attorney from our firm.

If You Wish to Extend Your Visit

Let’s say that you are in the United States and you decide that you would like to extend your visit beyond the time indicated on the Form I-94, Record of Arrival-Departure (you receive this stamped form at the designated port of entry).

In order to do this, you’ll need to apply for an extension by filing Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, with USCIS.

To learn more about visiting the United States and applying for the appropriate waiver or visa, contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm for the help you need!