Getting a Green Card

Getting a Green Card

Are you interested in coming to the United States to live and work? If so, you may be interested in becoming a Green Card holder, which is a lawful permanent resident.

When you become a lawful permanent resident (a Green Card holder), you are granted authorization to live and work in the U.S. permanently.

To prove your status, you would be granted a permanent resident card, otherwise known as a “Green Card.” A Green Card can be obtained several different ways, however, most people are sponsored by a family member or through a U.S. employer.

In other cases, someone becomes a permanent resident through asylee or refugee status, or through another humanitarian program. Sometimes, an individual may be able to file for themselves.

Steps to Becoming a Green Card Holder

The steps to becoming a permanent resident vary depending upon whether you are currently residing in or outside of the United States.

The four main categories for a Green Card are:

  • A Green Card through your employment (job)
  • A Green Card through your family
  • A Green Card through asylee or refugee status
  • Alternative ways of getting a Green Card

What are the other ways of getting a Green Card?

The majority of immigrants coming to live permanently in the United States do so through a family member’s sponsorship, through employment, or because they have a job offer. However, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t other ways of getting a Green Card.

Other ways to get a Green Card, include:

  • The “Green Card lottery”
  • Through the Legal Immigration Family Equity Act (LIFE)
  • Through Special Immigration Juvenile Status (SIJ)
  • A K Nonimmigrant Visa, including the fiancé(e)

The above list includes just a few examples of how you can get a Green Card. There are additional programs such as those listed under the “special categories of family” and the “special categories of jobs” and “other Green Card programs.”

If you are interested in learning more about the different methods of obtaining a Green Card for yourself or a family member, we would be glad to help.

Contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm for a case evaluation with a Plano immigration attorney!