Naturalization for Military Personnel

Naturalization for Military Personnel

Are you a member or veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces? If you are interested in becoming a U.S. citizen, we have good news: You may be able to apply for naturalization under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

If you are a member of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, or National Guard, you may qualify for swifter processing that was designed for service members.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has created a streamlined process specifically for those who serve in our military and file under the military naturalization provisions.

Do you qualify?

In order for you to become a U.S. citizen, you must meet certain requirements, including:

  • You must demonstrate that you have a good moral character.
  • You must have knowledge of the English language.
  • You must demonstrate that your knowledge of U.S. government and history.
  • You must demonstrate that you are attached to the principals of the U.S. Constitution.
  • You have to take the Oath of Allegiance.

Since you are a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, there are certain naturalization requirements that may not be applicable in your situation; for example, the required length of time for residence and physical presence in the United States.

Under Section 328 of the INA, you may qualify if:

  • You have served in active duty or reserve service (honorably) for at least a year.
  • You are in the U.S. legally – a lawful permanent resident.
  • You applied while you were in the service, or within six months of being separated.

If the USCIS finds you eligible for naturalization, the USCIS will inform you as to the date that you can take the oath of allegiance and become a U.S. citizen.

If you are stationed overseas, you can be interviewed and naturalized abroad at some military installations, Consulates, and U.S. Embassies. You are allowed to request overseas processing at any time during the naturalization process.

Lastly, if you are married to a service member who is a U.S. citizen and your spouse is or soon will be deployed for at least a year, then you may qualify for expedited naturalization.

To learn more about naturalization for service members or their family members, don’t hesitate to contact a Plano immigration attorney from The Zendeh Del Law Firm!