Uninsured Motorist Accidents in Texas

Uninsured Motorist Accidents in Texas

Under Texas law, all people who drive in the state must pay for the accidents that they cause. Most drivers protect themselves by buying auto liability insurance. Liability insurance covers the costs of repairing or replacing the other driver’s vehicle, and it pays for other people’s medical expenses when you are responsible (at fault) for an accident.

In order to meet the state’s financial responsibility law, Texas residents must buy at least the minimum coverage, which is currently set at $30,000 for each injured person, up to $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per an accident. This basic coverage is known as 30/60/25.

If a driver violates the state’s financial responsibility law, they face the following penalties:

  • Up to $350 in fines (first offense)
  • Up to $1,000 fine, driver’s license suspension, vehicle impoundment (subsequent offenses)

If someone causes an accident that involves serious injuries or death and they did not have auto liability insurance, they face up to $4,000 in fines, up to one year in jail, or both.

What if the at-fault driver was uninsured?

Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage pays your expenses if you’re in an accident with an uninsured or an underinsured motorist, or a hit-and-run driver. It also pays for the personal property that was damaged in your vehicle as a result of the accident.

In Texas, there is an automatic $250 deductible when drivers use their UM/UIM coverage. This means that you will be required to pay the first $250 first, before your auto insurance carrier will pay the rest.

There are two types of UM/UIM coverage, including:

  • Bodily injury, which pays for pain and suffering, medical bills, pain and suffering, partial or permanent disability. This type does not have a deductible.
  • Property damage, which pays for a rental car, repairs to your vehicle, and for damaged items in your vehicle.

UM/UIM covers you, members of your family, your passengers, and others who drive your car with your permission. Insurance companies are required by law to offer UM/UIM coverage to policyholders. If you don’t want this coverage, you have to say so be rejecting it in writing.

Representation for Uninsured Motorist Accidents

Are you looking for a Plano personal injury attorney to represent you in your uninsured motorist claim? If so, contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm to schedule a consultation with a member of our legal team.

Our qualifications include the AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, selection for inclusion in Super Lawyers®, and so much more – call today for excellent legal representation!