Visas for Permanent Workers

Visas for Permanent Workers

Are you considering moving to the United States to work permanently? If you have the right education, combination of job skills, or work experience in a valuable field, you may be able to live in the United States permanently.

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), each year, approximately 140,000 immigrant visas are available for aliens and their immediate families.

If you are interested in immigrating to the U.S. based on your job skills, we encourage you to learn about the five employment-based immigrant visas available, which are included below.

About Labor Certification

Not all of the visas operate the same; some of the visas require that the person already have a job offer from a U.S. employer, who is considered the applicant’s “sponsor.”

Some of the visa categories require that the employer obtain an approved labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) before they can submit the immigration petition to the USCIS.

Permanent Worker Visas

The permanent worker visa categories, include:

First preference EB-1. This visa is for workers with an extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, education, business or athletics. It also includes researchers, professors, executives and managers.

Second preference EB-2. For individuals holding advanced degrees, or for people with exceptional abilities in the arts, sciences or business.

Third preference EB-3. For professionals, skilled workers, and other workers.

Fourth preference EB-4. These are for special immigrants, such as religious workers, alien minors who are wards of the U.S. courts etc.

Fifth preference EB-5. This visa is reserved for business investors who invest between $500,000 and $1 million in a commercial enterprise that will employ at least 10 full-time U.S. workers.

Please note that aliens who are employed in the United States may be obligated to pay U.S. taxes.

Searching for a Plano immigration lawyer?

If you are interested in coming to live and work in the United States as a permanent worker, we encourage you to contact our firm so you can speak with a Plano immigration attorney. We would be glad to answer your questions and help you achieve your immigration goals, whatever they may be.