SSD for Wounded Warriors

SSD for Wounded Warriors

If you are in the military and you are suffering from a disability, you should know that military service members are entitled to receive expedited processing of their disability claims. Since the benefits you receive from Social Security are different from the ones that you receive from the Department of Veterans Affairs, you will have to submit a separate application.

In order to take advantage of the expedited processing, you must have become disabled while on active military duty on or after October 1, 2001, regardless of where the disability occurred.

Under the Social Security Disability Insurance program, wounded warriors and certain family members can receive benefits providing the service member has worked long enough and paid their Social Security taxes. In order to receive disability benefits, you must meet the Social Security Administration’s strict definition of a disability:

  • You must be unable to do any substantial work because you of a medical condition that must have lasted, or is expected to last at least one year, or result in death.

How Military Pay Affects Eligibility for Benefits

If you’re on active duty and receiving military pay, that won’t necessarily prevent you from receiving SSD benefits. If you’re receiving military pay, you should never let that stop you from applying for SSD benefits.

Are you receiving treatment at a medical facility and working in a therapy program? Or, are you on limited duty? If you answered yes to any of these questions, the Social Security Administration will evaluate your work activity to determine if you are eligible for benefits.

Unfortunately, you cannot receive SSD benefits if you are engaging in any substantial work and are getting paid for it. However, the controlling factor here is the actual work activity, and not how much pay you are receiving, or the status of your military duty.

If You Remain on Active Duty

If you remain on active duty, you still may receive SSD benefits. However, you should contact Social Security right away if there is any change in your Military Occupational Specialty code, your Air Force Specialty Code, or your Navy Enlisted Classification.

If there is a change in your work status, it may affect your SSD benefits, so you should tell Social Security right away about any such changes.

Are you a wounded warrior who is interested in applying for Social Security Disability benefits? For legal representation in Plano, Dallas, and Ft. Worth, contact the Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC today!