Naturalization Process for Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Naturalization Process for Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Are you an immigrant who is married to a United States citizen? If so, you’re certainly interested in learning about becoming a U.S. citizen. How long does it take? What do you have to do to get the process moving?

Generally speaking, husbands and wives of U.S. citizens may qualify for naturalization under Section 319(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if they:

  • Have had a green card for at least 3 years.
  • Have been legally married to the same U.S. citizen spouse during that time.
  • Meet the requirements for naturalization.

In some circumstances, the spouse of a U.S. citizen who is employed abroad may be eligible for naturalization regardless of how much time they’ve spent being a permanent resident. Such spouses qualify under Section 319(b) of the INA.

Is your spouse in the U.S. military?

If your spouse is in the U.S. Armed Forces, you may be eligible for citizenship and expedited and overseas processing under certain provisions of the INA.

Also, if you have children with a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and your U.S. citizen spouse is deployed abroad, your children may be eligible for overseas processing as well.

General Requirements for Naturalization

In order to be eligible for naturalization under Section 319(a), you’ll need to meet the following requirements:

  • You must be at least 18-years-of-age.
  • You must be a green card holder (permanent resident) for at least 3 years before applying.
  • You must have been living with your U.S. citizen spouse in a marital union for at least 3 years before filing an application.
  • You must have lived in the U.S. continuously as a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years.
  • You must have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 18 months out of the 3 years immediately preceding your application.
  • You must be able to read, write, and speak English.
  • You must have knowledge and understanding of U.S. history.
  • You must be a person of good moral character.

Contact a Plano Immigration Attorney

For further information regarding becoming a U.S. citizen, don’t hesitate to contact our office to work with an experienced member of our legal team.

With over 30 years of combined experience, an A+ Rating from the BBB and other top accolades in the legal field, you can be confident that your immigration case is in very good hands!