Financially Sponsoring a Relative for Immigration

Financially Sponsoring a Relative for Immigration

Do you have a close relative in another country who you wish to have join you in the United States? If so, that is wonderful news.

Under U.S. immigration law, in order for a person to immigrate to the U.S. based on a relative petition, he or she is required to have a “financial sponsor,” which may be you.

If you desire to financially sponsor your family member’s immigration, you will need to file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. When you file this form, you will have to agree to financially sponsor your relative.

Also, when it’s time for your loved one to immigrate, you will need to file an affidavit of support.

Even if you do not have the income to support your relative, you still need to file a Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, and you have to accept responsibility for finding someone else who meets the income requirements, and who are willing to financially support your relative and file an affidavits of support.

What is the reason for the affidavit of support?

The purpose of the affidavit of support is to ensure that new immigrants have a means for support when they come to the United States, and that they won’t have to apply for public benefits, such as food stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, and Medicaid etc.

Please note that if you file an affidavit of support for a relative, and he or she becomes a permanent resident and at a later date they receive certain public benefits, you could be required to repay the agency that provided them with benefits. So, this is something to think about.

About Affidavits of Support

Who needs to have an affidavit of support? Essentially, anyone who applies to become a permanent resident through one of their family members; these individuals are required to have a financial sponsor.

If you file a petition sponsoring your relative’s immigration, you must file the affidavit of support. If you do not file the affidavit, your sponsorship will be incomplete, and your family member will not be allowed to immigrate based on the petition that you filed.

To financially sponsor a relative, contact a Plano immigration attorney from our firm for assistance!