SSDI Benefits for Disabled Adult Children

SSDI Benefits for Disabled Adult Children

Do you have a disabled child under the age of 18? If so, the Social Security Administration is not concerned about your child’s disability when the agency determines whether he or she qualifies for Social Security Disability benefits as your dependent.

Generally, a child’s benefits stop once they turn 18, unless he or she is attending elementary or high school full-time. In order for your disabled son or daughter to receive benefits on your work record after they turn 18, they must meet the following criteria:

  • Your child must have become disabled before the age of 22, and
  • Your child must meet the SSA’s definition of a “disability,” which applies to all adult applicants.

Disabled Adult Children

If your child is an adult who became disabled before the age of 22, he or she may be eligible for child’s benefits if they have a parent who: is deceased, or begins to receive disability or retirement benefits.

Under these circumstances, this would be considered a “child benefit” because your child would be paid on one of their parent’s Social Security earnings record.

An adult child includes a biological child, an adopted child, and in some cases a stepchild, grandchild, or even a step grandchild.

However, for the adult child to qualify, they cannot be married, they must be at least 18 years of age, and their disability must have started before they turned 22.

For example, let’s say that John started collecting his Social Security retirement benefits when he turned 62. John’s son is 30-years old and he had a traumatic brain injury in a car accident when he was 16, rendering him severely disabled.

Now that John is collecting Social Security retirement benefits, his disabled son can start collecting the disabled child’s benefit on John’s Social Security record.

What if John’s son is already receiving SSI benefits? John should check to see if his son may be able to get benefits on his, or his wife’s earning record. Their son may be able to receive higher benefits, and he may be entitled to Medicare.

Do you have an adult disabled child? If so, he or she may qualify for the child’s benefit under your work record. To learn more, contact a Dallas Social Security Disability attorney from our firm!