SSDI: What You Must Report

SSDI: What You Must Report

If you were approved for Social Security Disability benefits, then that’s good news. Please be aware that once you start receiving your benefits, you will have certain reporting responsibilities.

The Social Security Administration asks that all individuals receiving SSDI benefits promptly notify the SSA whenever a change occurs, which could affect the person’s benefits.

Also, any family members who are receiving benefits based on your work record should notify the SSA of any changes that could affect their benefit payments.

Note: If the SSA discovers that someone gave them false information on purpose, the SSA will stop that person’s benefits. Upon the first violation, the person’s benefits are stopped for six months.

If there’s a second violation, their benefits are stopped for 12 months, and for a third violation, the benefits are stopped for a full two years.

Also, if the person fails to report a change, they can be paid too much. When people are overpaid, the SSA requires them to repay the money.

What do I need to report?

Here is a basic summary of what you need to report while receiving SSDI benefits:

  • If you return to work, even if it’s part-time.
  • If you start receiving workers’ compensation benefits.
  • If you receive other disability benefits under a local, state, or federal program.
  • The SSA offers you services under its Ticket to Work Program.
  • You move to another residence.
  • You change your direct deposit account.
  • You start receiving a pension, such as one from a federal or state pension system that you did not pay Social Security taxes on.
  • You get married or divorced.
  • You change your name.
  • If you are caring for a disabled worker’s child who is under 16 and you stop caring for them, you should notify the SSA right away.
  • If you are convicted of a criminal offense.
  • If there is a warrant out for your arrest.
  • If you are in violation of your probation or parole.
  • If you travel overseas (leave the U.S.).

We hope this information helps you better understand your reporting obligations to the SSA. If you have further questions or if you wish to apply for SSDI, please contact a Dallas Social Security Disability attorney from The Zendeh Del Law Firm!