Citizenship for U.S. Military Members

Citizenship for U.S. Military Members

One thing that Texas is very proud of is its robust military presence. With Fort Hood and NAS Fort Worth, we see our fair share of military members who are interested in the naturalization process for themselves, or their loved ones overseas.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recognizes the sacrifices that are made by non-U.S. citizens who are members of the U.S. Armed Forces, as well as by their families.

To show its gratitude for those who fight for our country, the USCIS has committed itself to processing their naturalization applications as timely and efficiently as possible while providing them with exceptional customer service and preserving the integrity of our immigration system and national security.

If you are a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, you and your dependents (including your spouse and children) may be eligible for citizenship. You and your dependents may also be eligible for expedited processing, even if you are stationed overseas under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Naturalization for Military Members

Are you a member of our military and interested in becoming a U.S. citizen? You may be able to qualify for naturalization through military service under Section 328 and 329 of the INA.

Generally, someone who has served honorably in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard or National Guard at any time, may be able to apply for naturalization under Section 328 of the INA. The military community calls this “peacetime naturalization.”

For an applicant to be eligible for naturalization under Section 328 of the INA, he or she must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Served in the U.S. Armed Forces honorably for at least one year
  • Be a permanent resident
  • Understand basic English
  • Have good knowledge of U .S. history and government
  • Be a person of good moral character
  • Have continuously resided in the U.S. for at least five years

To learn more about naturalization during “peacetime” or during periods of hostilities under Section 329 of the INA, for example, from September 11, 2011 until present, please contact a Plano immigration lawyer from The Zendeh Del Law Firm.

We can explain the naturalization process for members of the U.S. Armed Forces, or if you are a U.S. citizen but looking to bring a fiancé or spouse over to the U.S. to join you, we can guide you through this process as well.