Documents Needed for Social Security Disability

Documents Needed for Social Security Disability

The Social Security Disability program offers valuable benefits to disabled workers whose medical condition is expected to last one year or longer, or result in death.

If you are currently suffering with a medical condition that’s made it impossible for you to work, we strongly suggest that you apply for disability benefits through the Social Security Administration.

The SSA pays benefits to workers who have worked long enough to receive disability. Since workers “pay into the system,” they should not hesitate to apply for benefits when they need them.

Start Gathering These Documents

Applying for SSDI can be a daunting process, which is why we recommend contacting our law firm for assistance filing a claim. If you have decided that applying would be in your best interests, here is a list of documentation that you will need to provide the SSA.

  • Your birth certificate, or similar proof
  • If you were not born in the United States, proof of U.S. citizenship, or lawful alien status
  • If you were in the U.S. military before 1968, your U.S. military discharge papers
  • Your W-2 forms, or self-employment tax returns from last year
  • Any medical evidence that you have, such as your recent test results, doctors’ reports, or any medical records
  • If you’re receiving workers’ compensation, any proof of that, such as award letters
  • Any pay stubs or settlement agreements (where applicable)

The Social Security Administration will accept photocopies of your self-employment tax returns and W-2 forms, as well as your medical documents. However, the SSA does want to see original copies of other documents, such as your birth certificate (the agency will return it to you).

The SSA has additional requirements, for example, whenever documents are mailed to them, the applicants Social Security number must be included on a separate piece of paper so the SSA can match the documents to the right application.

For Non-U.S. Citizens

If you’re a non-U.S. citizen, you are NOT to mail foreign birth records or documents from the Department of Homeland Security, especially if it’s a document, such as a green card that you’re supposed to keep on you at all times. Instead, the SSA asks that you bring them into the Social Security office in person for their agents to review.

For more information about applying for SSDI, contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC. Our Dallas Social Security Disability lawyers are here to guide you every step of the way!