How Can I Work in the U.S.?

How Can I Work in the U.S.?

Each year, thousands of workers come to the United States to work from foreign countries. These individuals work in a variety of occupations, each of which contributes to the enrichment of our society.

Some foreign workers are artists, scientists, researchers, athletes, agricultural workers, and information technology specialists, while others are investors and religious workers. Regardless of their occupation, our country embraces foreign workers and their contributions to America’s economy.

In order for a foreign worker to come and work in the United States, they must obtain permission in order to do so legally. There are different employment categories and each has its own conditions, requirements and authorized periods that the foreign worker can stay.

If you wish to apply for admission and a visa, you will be expected to adhere to the terms of your application. If you violate any of the terms or conditions, you could be removed from the United States and not allowed back in.

Foreign workers fall into these categories:

  • Students: Under certain circumstances students may be allowed to work in the U.S., but they must get permission from a Designated School Official (DSO) from their school.
  • Exchange visitors: Exchange visitors may be able to work with permission from the Responsible Officer (RO) at their school.
  • Temporary, nonimmigrant workers: These workers want to come to the U.S. temporarily and for a specific purpose. Once nonimmigrants are in the U.S., they are restricted to the activity that pertains to their nonimmigrant visa.
  • Permanent, immigrant workers: These workers are allowed to live and work in the U.S. permanently.
  • Temporary visitors for business: If you want to visit the U.S. temporarily while on business, you will need a B-1 visa, which is for temporary visitors who visit for business purposes, unless you qualify to enter the U.S. without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program.

Note to Employees & Employers

If you are an employer, you must verify that a foreign worker you wish to employ or continue employing is authorized to work in the U.S.

These workers may have employment authorization due to their immigration status: 1) permanent residents, 2) individuals granted asylum or refugee status, and 3) individuals admitted to the U.S. in work-related nonimmigrant classifications.

For more information about working in the U.S., call The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC to meet with one of our Plano immigration lawyers.