Obtaining a Green Card as an Amerasian

Obtaining a Green Card as an Amerasian

“Amerasian” is defined as a child born in Asia, to an Asian mother and a U.S. military father. Many refer to Amerasians as “children of the Vietnam war,” whose mothers were Vietnamese and whose fathers were U.S. servicemen, but the meaning has expanded to include children of other Asian countries as well.

Under U.S. immigration law, people who were born in Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Kampuchea (Cambodia), and Thailand between 1951 and October 21, 1982, and whose fathers are U.S. citizens may obtain a green card.

If you are an Amerasian child of a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible for a green card (permanent residence) if you meet the following criteria:

  • Your father is a U.S. citizen.
  • You were born in Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Kampuchea, or Thailand between the dates mentioned above (Jan. 1951 to Oct. 21, 1982).
  • You are allowed to enter the United States under U.S. immigration law.
  • There is an immigrant visa immediately available to you.

How do I apply for a green card?

If you meet the above requirements, you may apply for a green card. To begin the application process, you will need to file Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant.

If you are currently living outside the U.S., you will need to file a Form I-360 near you at the local U.S. Embassy, consulate, or USCIS office that has jurisdiction over where you are currently living overseas.

When you apply for a green card, you will need to: 1) pay the application fees, and 2) supply supporting documentation, including but not limited to:

  • A copy of your birth certificate
  • Two photos of you (passport-style)
  • A copy of your government issued ID
  • Copies of certain passport pages
  • If you are between 14 and 79, Form G-325A, biographic information
  • Medical and vaccination record, Form I-693
  • If you’ve ever been arrested, certified copies of the court records

If you are an Amerasian who is interested in obtaining a green card, we invite you to contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC to speak with a Plano immigration attorney who can help.