Family Immigration & Same-Sex Spouses

Family Immigration & Same-Sex Spouses

On June 26, 2015, the U.S. Supreme Court made history when it decided that same-sex marriage was lawful in all states, and that each state must recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states.

With the high court’s ruling, couples in same-sex marriages could finally enjoy the same benefits as heterosexual married couples, and this included immigration benefits.

The U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs announced that same-sex spouses of lawful permanent residents and U.S. citizens, as well as their children under the age of 18, are entitled to the same immigration benefits as heterosexual spouses.

This announcement was exciting news to same-sex couples worldwide, and warmly accepted by the immigrant and LGBT communities.

About Family Immigration

Are you a same-sex spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) who wishes to live and work in the United States and become an LPR? If so, you can apply to become an LPR based on the fact that you are a spouse of a U.S. citizen or LPR.

To start the application process, your spouse in the U.S. will have to sponsor you. Your husband or wife will also need to prove that they have enough income or assets to financially support you when you come to the U.S.

To learn more about the types of immigrant visas that are available to you, please contact us to speak with a Plano immigration attorney.

Your spouse and you will need to complete specific steps under U.S. immigration law in order for you to join your loved one in the United States, such as:

  • The USCIS will have to approve your immigrant visa petition, I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, which will be filed by your spouse.
  • Your spouse will need to show that he or she has enough income or assets to support you.
  • Your spouse must accept financial responsibility for supporting you, and they will have to complete an Affidavit for Support.
  • Once all the above steps are complete, next you will apply for an immigrant visa.

To learn more about immigration for same-sex spouses, contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC!