Understanding Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

For those under 21 years of age with one or fewer parents living in the U.S., legal status may be available without having to leave the country through Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) status. This is a unique and often necessary opportunity for those children who have been abandoned by parents or who have had one parent deported. To determine if you or your child is eligible, speak with a Plano immigration attorney right away. Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC handles numerous legal matters involving citizenship and immigration and has more than 30 years of collective experience. We are rated A+ by the BBB and have earned a perfect 10 from Avvo and an AV Preeminent® rating from Martindale-Hubbell® in addition to many other awards. You can trust that we fully understand the law and work hard to achieve positive outcomes for our clients.

Is My Child Eligible For SIJ Status?

Only the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) can confer SIJ status or issue a green card. A juvenile court will be the one to determine the existence of abuse, negligent, or abandonment by the child’s parents. Those eligible for SIJ status are those who are:

  • Unmarried
  • Under 21 years old at the time of filing with USCIS
  • Physically present in the U.S.
  • In possession of a qualifying juvenile court order

Those who qualify include children in federal custody in the U.S. without parents or legal guardians, children in a state’s child welfare system such as foster care, and children in court-ordered custody of a state agency or individual.

Your Child Could Benefit From SIJ Status

SIJ status can considerably benefit children without legal status who have had one parent deported and can even allow for them to remain in the U.S. with another parent who is an illegal immigrant. SIJ status can let children become legal permanent residents without any removal proceedings. If you believe you qualify for SIJ status, speak with our Plano immigration lawyers as soon as you can to discuss your case further and we can work to obtain the best result possible for you.

Contact us online today—888-4-ZEN-LAW!