Don’t Wait for USCIS – File a Writ of Mandamus for Delayed Immigration Cases

The seemingly interminable wait for USCIS to adjudicate applications for immigration benefits can be quite irritating and disheartening. It’s not unlikely to wait a long period only to hear nothing in response, and the processing time can often be extended beyond what is typical. Whether it’s an employment or family-based petition that has been delayed, there is a solution – filing a writ of mandamus.

How The Writ of Mandamus Can Help Immigration Cases

A writ of mandamus is a request addressed to a District Court to make sure that the US government is adhering to 28 U.S. Code § 1361, which obliges them to act on the pursuer’s plea. Concerning immigration, it would be a legal action in Federal District Court against the USCIS to order them to take action on the applicant’s petition. The writ of mandamus will ask for a resolution from the USCIS if it is discovered that they are not carrying out their statutory obligation, or if there has been an inordinate stoppage of action concerning the immigrant’s diligence for a decision.

There are two unique kinds of court orders when it comes to a writ of mandamus: mandatory and alternative. A mandatory order directs USCIS to abide by its legal duty. An alternative court order mandates the USCIS to make a definite action or explain to the courtroom why they are not responsible. Though the two writs of mandamus are distinct, they should both kindle a response from the USCIS and regularly lead the officers to fulfill their statutory commitment to decide on the applicant’s matter.

Requirements For A Writ of Mandamus

When the USCIS has not responded to an application in a reasonable amount of time, a mandamus can be called for. To be eligible for court intervention, the applicant must meet these requirements: a stalled immigration case, a veritable entitlement to a resolution, no other practical remedies accessible, and most notably, the USCIS has an absolute commitment to accomplish the activity queried by the immigrant.

A request for a writ of mandamus submitted in Federal Court can be a great help for those who are seeking attention from the USCIS. It’s favorable for citizenship or green card applicants, as well as asylum seekers. If the person has been given a receipt and a biometrics appointment, a writ of mandamus may help in expediting their wait for a resolution. A few examples of cases that can be hastened with a writ of mandamus are the examination of Form I-485, which is the application for permanent residency, and Form N-400, an application for naturalization that necessitates a decision within 120 days after the applicant’s meeting. If the USCIS doesn’t make a ruling before this deadline, 8 US Code § 1447 allows for a mandamus to be filed in Federal District Court, notwithstanding that the court will not assess the citizenship application.

The Administrative Procedures Act (APA): To Solve Immigration Delays

In addition to filing a writ of mandamus in Federal Court, a lawsuit can be a method to prompt the USCIS to contact the petitioner. Lawsuits for unreasonable delays imposed by federal agencies can be brought under the Administrative Procedures Act (APA), or 5 US Code § 500, as it requests such agencies to act within a reasonable timeframe. However, this does come at a cost and a court can order the USCIS to make a declaration, no matter whether it is positive or not.

Reach Out to The Professionals at Zendeh Del Law Firm To File A Writ of Mandamus

Have you spent too long waiting for a resolution to your immigration case? At the Zendeh Del Law Firm, we focus on supporting those who are disheartened dealing with the USCIS. We understand how essential finding a solution fast is, and have many years of experience dealing with immigration matters.

Discuss the issue with one of our immigration lawyers and explore the possibility of filing a writ of mandamus if the wait has gone on too long without a response. A judicial order won’t necessitate a beneficial outcome, but it can order the USCIS to deliberate on the application in less time.

Therefore, if you are fed up waiting for the USCIS and would like a resolution to your immigration case, you should speak to the professionals at Zendeh Del Law Firm and file a writ of mandamus. We can assist you in getting the result you are due and surmount the difficulty of unreasonable delays.