8 Mistakes People Often Make on Immigration Forms

Whether you are applying for an employment-based or family-based visa, you must file all the necessary forms and go through the complex immigration process. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to make a mistake on an application, which can result in the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) delaying or denying to petition.

Here are some of the most common mistakes applicants make on immigration forms:

  1. Submit an incomplete form – Many applications consist of many pages, which is why it is easy to accidentally skip a section you are supposed to fill out.
  2. Use colored ink – The only acceptable ink color is black.
  3. Forget to sign your name – If you fail to sign a document, you petition could be returned or automatically denied.
  4. Cross out errors – If you wish to correct a mistake you made on the application, do not cross it out or write over it using white out or any other correction fluid. Simply start over.
  5. Use an out-of-date application – Ensure you are filling out the most up-to-date application from the USCIS website.
  6. Submit original documents – Instead of using the original documents, you must only submit certified photocopies.
  7. Mix up more than one petition – If you are submitting more than one application in the same envelope, make sure they are properly separated using rubber bands and paper clips.
  8. Pay the wrong amount – Fees constantly change. To ensure you pay the correct amount, use the “fee calculator” on the USCIS website.

Since the application process can be complex and meticulous, it is wise to hire an experienced immigration attorney to help you obtain the outcome you desire. At Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC, our legal team has more than five decades of combined experience guiding clients through the immigration process and ensuring all forms are properly completed.

If you are dealing with an immigration matter in Plano or Fort Worth that requires professional legal assistance, contact us today at 888-4-ZEN-LAW to discuss your case.

Related Posts​

Recent Posts

Practice Area