Naturalization for US Citizen Spouses

Are you an immigrant who is married to a US citizen? If so, you may be wondering if the naturalization process will be shorter or expedited because of your marriage and you have every reason to wonder. Most people in your situation have the same questions.

Under Section 319(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), you may qualify for naturalization if the following is true:

  • You have been a Green Card holder (permanent resident) for at least 3 years,
  • You have been married to your US spouse and living with him or her during that time, and
  • You meet all the other requirements.

“What if I’m married to a US citizen, but I work in another country?” In some situations, if a spouse of a US citizen works abroad, he or she may still qualify for naturalization regardless of how long they have been a Green Cardholder. Such spouses may qualify for naturalization under Section 319(b) of the INA.

Do You Meet These Requirements?

Are you eligible for naturalization under Section 319(a) of the INA? If so, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be at least 18
  • You must have a Green Card for at least 3 years before you file the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
  • You must have been living in a marital union with your US citizen spouse for at least the last 3 years before applying for citizenship
  • You must have lived in the state or the USCIS district that has jurisdiction over where you live for at least 3 months before you file the application
  • You have to live in the US continuously from the date you apply for naturalization to the date you become a US citizen
  • You have to be physically present in the US for at least 18 months out of the 3 years before the date you file your application
  • You must be able to speak, read, and write English
  • You must have the knowledge and a good understanding of US history and government (this is also called “civics”)
  • You must be a person with good moral character; certain criminal convictions can bar you from naturalization

For more information about naturalization for spouses of US citizens, contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC at (888) 493-6529 today!

Related Posts​

Recent Posts

Practice Area