Criminal Record Checks in Texas

Are you facing criminal charges in Texas? Or, have you been convicted of a crime and now you’re wondering who has access to your criminal record information? In order to shed light on the subject of criminal records and get your questions answered, we decided to dedicate a post to the topic. Continue reading and if you are in need of defense representation, contact us directly to set up a consultation.

Q. How do I look at my own criminal record?
A. You have three options: 1) you can send the Texas Department of Public Safety an authorized fingerprint card (along with the required fee) to review your criminal history information, 2) you can make an appointment at a local DPS FAST location to obtain an electronic printout, or 3) you can use the C.R.S. public site to conduct an online name-based search.

Q. My fingerprint cards are old, can I still use them?
A. No, you cannot use old fingerprint cards. They cannot be older than 6 months old.

Q. What is Fingerprint Applicant Services of Texas (FAST)?
A. It’s a company that the DPS contracted with for fingerprint services. FAST provides electronic fingerprinting services throughout Texas and it provides authorized organizations with criminal fingerprint records for background checks conducted on job applicants, volunteers, and professional licensees.

Q. Do people have access to my criminal records?
A. People can use the C.R.S. public site to conduct online name-based searches. According to Texas law, both criminal convictions and deferred adjudication records are “public record,” meaning they can be available to the general public. So yes, anyone can have access to your criminal record if it’s available online to the public.

Q. How long does it take to check my criminal history record?
A. Once all of your information is received, it will take about 10 business days for the results to come back. However, the DPS cannot guarantee how long it will take for you to receive the information through the post office.

Related: Should I Represent Myself in Court?

Accused of committing a crime? The best way to avoid a criminal record is to beat your charges in the first place. Contact our Plano criminal defense firm to get started.

Related Posts​

Recent Posts

Practice Area