How to Work in the United States if You’re Not a Citizen

The United States is the land of opportunity. It’s the country where immigrants can come and realize the “American Dream.” It’s also a place that non-U.S. citizens can come to and work for a temporary period of time. If you’re a non-U.S. citizen and you’re interested in working in the U.S. on a temporary basis, you’ll have to have one of the following:

  • A Green Card, also known as a Permanent Resident Card
  • A work permit, also known as an Employment Authorization Document
  • A work visa (this allows people to work for a particular employer)

These documents are distinct from each other and each has its own application requirements. If you are interested in applying for one of the above documents, you will have to meet the specific requirements associated with the particular document.

When Your Application is Approved

“What if my application is approved?” In that case, you’ll still have more work to do. There will be certain conditions and requirements you’ll have to meet, but they will depend on whether you receive a visa, a work permit, or a Green Card. Whichever work authorization you receive, it’s critical that you follow the rules and conditions of your work authorization.

“What if I violate any of my conditions?” In that case, you can face removal proceedings or when you do leave the U.S., you may not be allowed to return.

There are different classes of immigrant workers, including temporary (nonimmigrant) workers, permanent (immigrant workers), students, exchange visitors, and temporary visitors for business. The difference between temporary and permanent workers is that temporary workers work in the U.S. temporarily for a specific purpose. In contrast, permanent workers are authorized to live and work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.

“Individuals, such as those who have been admitted as permanent residents, granted asylum or refugee status, or admitted in work-related nonimmigrant classifications, may have employment authorization as a direct result of their immigration status. Other aliens may need to apply individually for employment authorization,” according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

To learn more about working in the U.S., contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC to arrange a meeting with a member of our legal team.

Related Posts​

Recent Posts

Practice Area