Obtaining a US Passport as a Convicted Felon

In our society, international travel is very common. It’s typical for US citizens to travel abroad for business, pleasure, schooling, and to visit with family. If you are facing felony charges in Texas or if you were convicted of a felony, you may be wondering if you can obtain a US passport with a felony conviction. After all, this is a very common question for convicted felons to ask, especially when a situation arises where they want to leave the States.

Federal law says under what circumstances a US citizen will be denied a US passport. For example, if a non-custodial parent owes more than $2,500 in child support arrears, the parent will be barred from obtaining a US passport. Contrary to popular belief, convicted felons are not typically prohibited from obtaining US passports. US passports do not contain criminal record information; they simply identify one’s citizenship to a particular country.

When Are US Passports Denied?

There are definitely instances when someone will be denied a US passport. For example, if you were convicted of drug trafficking after having committed the crime in another country, such as Mexico, you would be prohibited from obtaining a US passport under federal law.

If you are prohibited from leaving the country as a condition of your probation or parole or through a court order, again, you would be barred from obtaining a US passport. Lastly, under state and federal law, if you are on a supervised release program for felons who have been convicted of possession or distributing a controlled substance, you will not be able to obtain a US passport.

“What if I am a convicted felon, but I already have a passport?” If you are convicted of a felony and you already have a US passport, that doesn’t mean you’ll be able to leave the United States without any issues. It is possible for your passport to be revoked or for a court to place travel restrictions upon you is specific situations, especially if you’re convicted of certain offenses, on probation or parole, or another type of supervision by the courts.

Do you need legal advice about a criminal case? If so, contact The Zendeh Del Firm, PLLC to schedule a consultation with a member of our legal team.

Related Posts​

Recent Posts

Practice Area