U.S. Passports for Children Under 16

Are you interested in obtaining a U.S. passport for your child who is under the age of 16? If so, continue reading as we go over the basics of U.S. passports for children.

When it comes to getting a passport for a child who is under the age of 16, you will have to apply in person using Form DS-11. If you do receive a U.S. passport for your son or daughter, it will only be valid for 5 years.

Here are a few things to remember:

  • You are NOT supposed to sign your child’s passport application until the acceptance agent instructs you to do so.
  • You will be asked to provide your child’s Social Security number. If your child does not have a Social Security number, you’ll have to sign and date a statement declaring that your child has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration (SSA).
  • If you are interested in a larger passport book that has 52 pages, you can request one and it will not be any additional cost. However, you will need to check the “52-page” box, which is located at the top of the form, DS-11.

Will I Need to Provide Evidence of Citizenship?

As you apply for your child’s U.S. passport, you will need to provide evidence of his or her U.S. citizenship. You will be asked to provide one of the following U.S. citizenship documents for your child and the evidence has to be a certified or an original copy. A photocopy or a notarized copy will not be accepted:

  • A valid U.S. birth certificate;
  • Certificate of Citizenship;
  • An undamaged, valid U.S. passport (it can be expired);
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad; OR
  • Certification of Birth.

When applying for your child’s passport, you will need to bring an 8.5” x11” photocopy (front and back) of the U.S. citizenship evidence you submit. You’ll need to show parental relationship for the child you’re applying for (e.g. a birth certificate, custody decree, or adoption decree), and you’ll need to present a valid ID for you, such as a driver’s license, a U.S. passport, a U.S. military ID, or a Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship.

Next: Why Do I Need a US Passport?

We hope you found the information in this article was useful. If you need legal assistance with an immigration matter, contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC.

Related Posts​

Recent Posts

Practice Area