Penalties for Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor in Texas

In all 50 states, it’s illegal for individuals under the age of 21 to purchase alcohol. However, the alcohol-related laws and penalties vary from state-to-state. For the purpose of Texas’ alcohol-related laws, a “minor” refers to anyone under the age of 21.

While there are several alcohol laws that relate to minors, for the purpose of this post we are going to address the crime of furnishing (giving or providing) alcohol to a minor under Section 106.06 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code.

Under Sec. 106.06(a), it reads, “a person commits an offense if he purchases an alcoholic beverage for or gives or makes available an alcoholic beverage to a minor with criminal negligence.” However, a person can legally purchase alcohol or provide alcohol it a minor if the person is:

  • The minor’s adult mother or father, or
  • The minor’s adult legal guardian, or
  • The minor’s adult spouse, or
  • An adult who the court has given custody of the minor, and
  • This person is present when the minor possesses or drinks the alcohol.

If an individual purchases alcohol for the minor or furnishes it to the minor and he or she is not the minor’s parent, legal guardian, or someone who has court-ordered custody of the minor, he or she commits a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum fine of $4,000 and up to one year in jail.

Note: If an adult furnishes alcohol to a minor and he or she committed the offense while at a gathering where people were binge drinking or forcing or coercing people to drink alcohol, the defendant will have to perform 20 to 40 hours of community service and participate in an alcohol education program.

Are You Facing Criminal Charges?

Are you facing criminal charges after allegedly furnishing alcohol to a minor? If so, we urge you to contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC to meet with a Plano criminal defense lawyer. Don’t delay, your freedom and your future are at stake!

Related: Ignition Interlock Requirements in Texas

Related Posts​

Recent Posts

Practice Area