Replacing a Green Card

Are you a permanent resident who needs to replace your Green Card? Or, are you a conditional resident whose two-year Green Card needs to be replaced? Either way, you’ll need to apply for a replacement Green Card immediately.

“What if I’m currently outside the U.S. and my Green Card was lost or stolen?” In that case, you’ll need to contact the nearest port of entry or U.S. Consulate, USCIS office before you even attempt to file a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. The good news is that if your Form I-90 application is approved, you will receive a replacement Green Card in the mail, which will expire 10 years from the date of issue.

When Do I Replace My Green Card?

There are many different situations where somebody may need to replace their Green Card. You may need to replace your Green Card if it was lost, stolen, destroyed, damaged by water, washed with your laundry, chewed up by a puppy, etc. – you get the picture.

Some of the reasons why you may need to replace your Green Card:

  • You received your card before your 14th birthday unless your previous Green Card expires before you turn 16.
  • Up until now, you’ve been a commuter but now you plan to live in the United States.
  • Your immigration status was converted automatically to permanent resident status.
  • Your Green Card has incorrect information on it.
  • Your name was legally changed since your card was originally issued.

If something has happened to your Green Card, it’s important that
you replace it promptly. Or, if there is a legal reason why you need a
new one, you don’t want to ignore the issue. Under Section 264 of
the Immigration National Act (INA), it says that every alien who is 18
or over must carry with them at all times their alien registration receipt
or certificate of alien registration. If an alien fails to comply with
this law, he or she is guilty of a misdemeanor.

If you need legal advice regarding a Green Card or other immigration matter, contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC.

Related Posts​

Recent Posts

Practice Area