Social Security Numbers for Immigrants

If you’re planning on living and working in the United States, you may be wondering, “Do I need to get a Social Security number?” and “Is that even possible?” The answer to both questions is “yes.” If you plan to get a job in the U.S., you need a Social Security number so you can work. You also need it so you can be eligible for Social Security benefits and so you can access certain government services.

In addition to the above, a number of other institutions require you to have a Social Security number; for example, banks and credit card companies will require you to have a Social Security number before you can use their services. And, it can be difficult to cash your paychecks or pay for certain products and services without a credit card.

What Documents Do I Need?

If you are not a citizen of the United States, you will need to provide your current U.S. immigration documents that prove you are in the U.S. legally. These documents include any of the following: a Permanent Resident Card (green card) with a current foreign passport, an Arrival/Departure Record with a current foreign passport, or an Employment Authorization Card (work permit).

If you are an international student, you will have to provide additional documentation. To learn more about Social Security numbers for international students, we invite you to contact our firm for further assistance.

Age is another issue; you will need to provide proof of your age. If you were born outside the U.S., you will need to present your birth certificate. If you don’t have one, you’ll need to obtain a copy within 10 days. If you’re unable to get it within this timeframe, your foreign passport, Permanent Residence Card, or Arrival/Departure Record may suffice.

The following documents may be accepted as proof of identity:

  • Employee or school ID card,
  • Health insurance card, but not a Medicare card,
  • U.S. military ID card, OR
  • A life insurance policy, adoption decree, or marriage document (only if your name has been changed).

To learn more about obtaining a Social Security card as a non-U.S. citizen, contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC today.

Related Posts​

Recent Posts

Practice Area