SSD & SSI: How Do I Get Paid?

Are you applying for Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income benefits? If so, and you are approved, you’re going to want to know how your benefits will be paid. Do you receive a check every month? Are the benefits loaded on a card? Are they directly deposited into your bank account? On March 1, 2013, a new law took effect, which requires that all SSD and SSI recipients have their benefits paid electronically.

When you apply for SSD or SSI benefits, you are encouraged to sign up for electronic payments, but if you don’t for some reason during the application process, you are urged to do it as soon as possible. For those who have already been approved and they’re still receiving checks, they’ll be contacted by the U.S. Department of the Treasury about adhering to this requirement.

Are There Any Exceptions?

In rare circumstances, the Treasury will grant someone an exception. If you are interested in requesting a waiver so you can receive checks instead of electronic payments, you can contact the Treasury directly at (855) 290-1545. Another option is to print out the waiver form and mail it to the address listed on the form. Click here to get more information on the waiver form. If you already started receiving benefits, but you have not yet signed up for electronic payments, our advice is to create a my Social Security account and sign up for direct deposit through the website. You also have the option of signing up for direct deposit through your bank or credit union.

What is Direct Express®?

If you don’t want to use direct deposit, you can choose Direct Express® instead. With Direct Express®, the Social Security Administration electronically deposits your benefits directly onto a prepaid debit card, which has no enrollment fee and no minimum balance required to use the account. Related: /law-blog/2018/september/are-social-security-disability-benefits-taxable-/”>Are Social Security Disability Benefits Taxable?

We hope this information is useful. For help filing an SSI or SSD claim, please contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC today.

Related Posts​

Recent Posts

Practice Area