Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles

Before we discuss the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, let’s take a closer look at “parole” and what it means to Texas prisoners. According to the Legal Information Institute, “Parole is the conditional release of prisoners before they complete their sentence. Paroled prisoners are supervised by a public official, usually called a parole officer. If paroled prisoners violate the conditions of their release, they may be returned to prison.”

When prisoners are paroled, they must adhere to a list of strict conditions; for example, they may be told that they have to:

  • Stay away from victims
  • Maintain suitable employment
  • Support their dependents
  • Submit to random drug tests
  • Stay away from drugs and alcohol
  • Refrain from committing new crimes
  • Report regularly to their parole officer
  • Stay within a certain geographical area
  • Maintain sex offender registration

If a paroled prisoner got a speeding ticket, it shouldn’t affect their parole. But, if they got a DWI or if they were convicted of domestic violence, they’d probably be sent back to prison to complete the rest of their sentence.

Parole in Texas

Here in Texas, the Board of Pardons and Paroles decides which offenders are eligible for an early release on parole or discretionary mandatory supervision. If the Board releases an offender on parole, it will decide on the offender’s conditions.

If an offender slips up, breaks the law, or otherwise violates one of the conditions of his or her parole, the Board can revoke the offender’s parole; however, the Board usually imposes graduated sanctions before parole is revoked altogether. Depending on the facts of the violation, the Board may do any of the following:

  • Continue the offender’s parole,
  • Impose more sanctions,
  • Send the offender to an Intermediate Sanction Facility, or
  • Use another alternative to sending the offender back to prison.

Do you have questions about parole? Or, are you facing criminal charges in Plano, Dallas or Fort Worth? Either way, contact our firm for assistance.

Related Posts​

Recent Posts

Practice Area