In the past, drivers engaged in all sorts of distracted driving behaviors and they still do to this day; however, it wasn’t until cellphones with texting capabilities arrived on the scene that driver distraction became a serious safety issue and legal concern.
Driver distraction refers to behavior that takes the driver’s eyes off the road, their hands off the wheel, and their mind off the task of driving. To date, there is no statewide ban on eating while driving, reading a map while driving, changing the radio while driving, or engaging in other forms of driver distraction, however, that’s not the case with texting while driving.
In recent years, states across the country have enacted statewide bans against the most dangerous distracted driving behavior of them all – texting while driving. In this article, we discuss Texas and its law on texting while driving.
Texas Issues Statewide Ban
“In 2017, the Texas Legislature passed a statewide ban on using a wireless communications device for electronic messaging while operating a motor vehicle. Texting, as well as reading or writing email, is prohibited while driving in Texas,” according to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT).
TxDOT points out that many local areas have taken things even farther by passing even stricter ordinances that ban all use of cell phones while driving. Therefore, “…it is the responsibility of drivers to learn the laws in their local areas.”
If you are a resident in Texas:
- You cannot send or receive text messages.
- You cannot use a cellphone at all if you have a learner’s permit for the first six months that you drive.
- You cannot use a wireless communication device at all if you’re under 18.
- You cannot use a cellphone at all while driving in a school zone.
- You should contact your local municipality so you are aware of any additional laws or ordinances governing the use of cellphones, even by adults.
Injured in an accident at the hands of a distracted driver? Contact The Zendeh Del Law Firm, PLLC to file a claim for compensation!